The China Ocean Institute is hiring! To apply for an open position at the China Ocean Institute, please provide: a cover letter, current resume, and three references (names and contact information). The cover letter should discuss the applicant’s career goals and their interest in the position. Please send to email@example.com.
POSITION: Research Assistant at the China Ocean Institute
Hours: Part time, 15–20 hours/week
Reports to: CEO
The China Ocean Institute seeks a part-time assistant to support research on China’s ocean and fisheries policy using primary-source language materials such as government documents, media sources, and academic literature. This position is ideal for a graduate student interested in gaining experience conducting research in Chinese and seeking to learn more about Chinese maritime policy. Research project topics include, for example, Chinese marine environmental policy; Chinese seafood companies; and Chinese fisheries subsidies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analysis of Chinese-language research materials on oceans and fisheries issues
- Assist with writing and editing of research reports
- Assist with project management and other administrative duties
- Some project duties may require international travel and oral language skills
- Fluent Chinese language skills, including advanced reading ability
- Interest in ocean and fisheries issues
- A. or Ph.D. students preferred, but applications from exceptional juniors and seniors will be considered
- Excellent attention to detail; ability to think clearly and creatively, generate ideas and take initiative; ability to work well in a collaborative, small-team environment; ability to meet and adjust to deadlines; ability to take responsibility and follow through on a given assignment with limited oversight
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- Commitment of at least one year is preferred
Application Deadline: Priority deadline is Monday 12 November 2018, after which applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
About the China Ocean Institute
Based in Seattle, Washington, the China Ocean Institute is a consulting firm that conducts research on Chinese ocean and fisheries policy.